Thursday, February 28, 2008

Mnemonics

Taking on the challenge of Libraries 2.0 made me think back to days of cramming for exams & made me think how pleased I am that there isn’t an exam at the end of this very interesting program. No matter how much I thought I knew, the info always seemed to escape my mind at exam time. I was forever inventing mnemonics to remember lists and give myself clues. It’s funny, because now I have forgoten most of the memory clues – maybe they will come back to me now that I am back into “learning”. One that has stayed in my mind, is a memory clue for the concepts you need to remember when evaluating a resource. I used the word PASTA. (Purpose, authority, scope, format, audience) The T came from the end of the word format, rather than the beginning like the other clues, but hey, it worked at the time & has stayed with me over the years.

The “My Very Elderly Mother Just Sits Under The North Pole: was a well know planet trigger. I wonder what is used these days now that Pluto is no longer included?

I’d be interersted to rediscover more memory tools from the students and the parents out there”

2 comments:

sydkev said...

I remember at school learning a trig rule that had the mnemonic "All Stations To Central"... which didn't seem all that relevant or memorable seeing as we lived in Bellingen...

Judy @ Coffs Kids said...

The mention of a maths mnemonic reminds me of the acronym "BODMAS" providing the sequence of actions in mathematical calculations. I couldn't, however, remember what the "O" represented. A little bit of research unearthed the information that the "O" stands for "Order" - or anything raised to the power of a number. I think I must have just skipped over that bit & carried on with doing things in the sequence of BDMAS, which is much harder to say. Remember, little tricks like this help when setting up formulas in spreadsheets - does anyone else have trouble getting the brackets in the right places?